Friday, 28 July 2017

My Tattoo

Over the last two weeks I have had two separate people ask me about my tattoo.
I found this strange but it has become less strange when I think about it and realize that I'm almost  a l w a y s  wearing a cardigan or at the very least, long sleeves.
And as it is on my forearm it kinda makes sense that people don't realize I have one/surprised when they see it.
- derrr.
Anyhoo the thing that is also a little weird to me is the response I always have.
I'm gonna hit you with some back story now so strap yourself in :D

My tattoo was inspired by a Christina Aguilera song that I had been listening to non-stop for months.
It felt as though her album and that song in particular had reached out to me at a point when I needed them more than ever.
At the time, I was struggling and the album Lotus helped to remind me that I was stronger than I felt in that moment.
Just listening to the lyrics filled me with a sense of strength and I wanted a permanent reminder of that every day.

I spent quite a bit of time designing my tattoo (which will probably seem silly when you see how simple it is). I had an image in my mind of how I wanted it to look and worked and worked on it.
I wanted it spaced out in a specific way. For the font to be easy to read. I wanted it to sit along my right inner forearm so that I would see it all day everyday.

I decided to get it done the day before my 23rd birthday.
I was nervous, I didn't know how much it was going to hurt, what the healing would be like but I was more excited than anything.

I have now had my tattoo for almost 4 and a half years
- where has the time gone?!
and I love it just as much as ever.
So much has changed in my life since getting the tattoo. I have gone through a lot of dark times, hit rock bottom and lost all sense of who I am.
In the last 12 months I have been working so hard to win back my life and trying to learn to stop standing in my own way.
My tattoo is the most relevant it has ever been.

Over the last 4 and a half years, whenever someone asks me "why did I get that? what does it mean? etc." I always say the same thing : It's lyrics from one of Christina Aguilera's songs, I loooove her.
While those points are very much true, I know that's not the sole reason as to why I got the tattoo.
I know I don't need to share my life story with every person I meet/interact with but I think that I want to start adopting the answer that I feel in my heart : It represents who I am, I will rise undefeated :)
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, YOU MAY LIKE THIS ONE :

|          Instagram        |          Twitter        |          Facebook        |          Youtube        |          Pinterest          |          Bloglovin          |    

No comments:

Post a Comment